Thursday 26 February 2009

ANIMAL MAGIC

Ananova

A Chinese man who found a “puppy” while out walking in the mountains took it home and reared it.

He took it for walks every day and became very close to the “dog”, but his neighbours in the village where he lived became concerned after hearing a wolf howl near their homes.

The police and a wildlife expert were called, the “dog was examined and the expert confirmed the pet was definitely a wolf with the obvious characteristics that it never barked and had a thick fur coat and tail. It has now been taken in by Qinling Zoo.

A surprised Mr Li commented: "It looks very much like a dog to me. I would never have suspected that it was a wolf.

Take a look at the photo on the link.


Should have gone to specsavers.


Ananova - Pig burns down house

A Vietnamese pot bellied pig, knocked over a lamp which set fire to the house of its owner in Sweden.

Being a bit savvy, the pig jumped into the bath and escaped with a mild singeing, it was found by fire-fighters.

Personally I prefer my bacon crispy.


Dotty the Dalmatian does his thing

Great video-YouTube - Japanarama Clip Dalmation Riding a Bike.mpg

Mind you I don’t know what all the fuss is about, he still needs stabilisers!



Ananova - Meerkat spotted - in Wales

A nurse looked out at her North Wales garden - and spotted a meerkat.

Jackie Morgan says the African animal looked "rather sorry for itself, standing upright and shivering in the morning frost".

She and husband Keith phoned animal rescue centres, a vet, the Welsh Mountain Zoo and Chester Zoo - but no one believed them.

Mrs Morgan, of Mynydd Isa near Mold, told the Daily Post: "I think they thought it was some kind of joke because of the TV advert. They said they thought it was more likely to be a ferret.

But they captured it, took photos, and sent them to the zoo, and yes it was a Meerkat.


Simple eh?


And finally, from my neck of the woods, in fact from my town.

Ananova - Angler catches 55 stone fish

Well the biologist is from my town.

A Hampshire angler has caught the biggest freshwater fish ever to be caught with a rod - a 55 stone stingray.

It took 90 minutes to land and 13 men to heave it out of the water, reports the Daily Mail.
Ian Welch, 45, who weighs 11st 7lbs, said: "It dragged me across the boat and would have pulled me in, had my colleague not grabbed my trousers."

The biologist, from Aldershot, was helping with a stingray tagging programme on Thailand's Maeklong River, when he hooked the fish.

"It buried itself on the bottom. I tried with every ounce of power but it just would not budge. After half an hour my arms began shaking and after an hour my legs went," he said.

"Another 30 minutes went by and then I put a glove on and physically pulled the line with gritted teeth."

Eventually the group towed the ray to the bank, put it in a paddling pool, tagged it and took DNA, before releasing it.

Mr Welch said: "I was exhausted afterwards. I did very little for the rest of the day - and just had a cold beer."

Typical bloke from Aldershot.


I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals.” Winston Churchill


Angus

NHS Behind the headlines

Angus Dei politico

1 comment:

CherryPie said...

Well that photo sure looks like a wolf to me...